Thursday 18 August 2011

Romani pattern design for new work Post 74*




I have been thinking more about the new piece of work I want to make (see previous posts for more info), and have been designing motifs and drawings to add to the surface of the fabric / paper sculpture.

I want the motifs to be simple, line paintings in a lucid colour - maybe pink or orange. The motifs will use imagery from Romani culture - Cart wheels, horse shoes, plants, cast iron kettles. I want the motifs to accompany the naturalistic colours and imagery I will be creating the collage from, but to also add a striking contrast and depth to the work - In another sense I suppose this addition of graphics to the work has elements of graffiti in it. I like the idea of adding to an existing surface and making sure what is added grabs as much attention if not more than the surface it is painted on.


No comments:

Post a Comment