Monday 9 May 2011

The Community is a Collage Post 56*


Islington Exhibits
Artist in Residence

Throughout the next three months I am developing three community engaged micro projects in collaboration with you the residents and visitors of Holloway.

The first instalment of these projects will begin on Saturday 7th May at the Old Fire Station Holloway. Throughout the day I will be finding interested parties who have a story to tell to participate in this exciting spoken word art project to have an informal interview.

The interviews that take place will be taped, as a record of the conversations we have. The resulting recordings will be edited together to construct a communal commentary on Holloway.

The work will be exhibited within The Old Fire Station during July this year.

Further details for the private view party will be posted here: http://www.therowanartsproject.com/
-----------------------------------------------
 
So I began my residency last Saturday, starting with the first part of 3 public projects. The day went really great as I didn't really know the kind of turnout I would get before Saturday 7th. 

From just this one day I met and (very casually) interviewed a real plethora of interesting and very diverse people; from artists, whole families and friends to musicians and writers.

I am really getting a sense of how I can place these recordings together, and I am finding the more input I get back form the public encounters the more momentum my ideas develop.

From meeting one uke playing lady Kim, I am now looking into supporting sounds and textures to collage into the sound work, which hope will heighten the listeners envelopment into the work. I have already been asked for a couple of copies of the finished sound article, so am thinking of making up maybe 50 one off printed jackets for some CD-R's.

No comments:

Post a Comment