Monday 13 June 2011

The Cally Festival Post 64*




So after holding a workshop table for the Mayton Street Festival with Rowan Arts and The Holloway Neighbourhood Group, I got talking to the market manager of The Cally Festival on the 3rd July.

Anya mentioned she was looking for some artists workshops and of course I said I would do it!

I am thinking of working on something similar to the workshops I produced for Mayton Street, but think those workshops should be kept for Holloway only, as the Joe Orton project doesn't make as much sense down Caledonian Road...

Instead I intend on making some one-off vinyl record sleeves, influenced by the collage aspects of my previous workshops. I was looking through my record collection and was struck by a record I bought ashamedly more for the sleeve (I do like Elvis Costello mind) than the record it contains, but this is surely part of the attraction of vinyl; the imagery seems to marry to the music so well...

 

Sleeve art of Elvis Costello & The Attractions, Armed Forces


I may even take along my record player and listen to the record while I alter its cover to get some ideas going.

I will also be making some unique sketchbook and writing book covers, building up images and making plain textbooks slightly more intriguing to look at.

-----------------------------------------

Both the record sleeves and textbooks will be on show during the 3rd July, but more importantly they will all be for sale, with all proceeds going to a local charity!

More Details on The Cally Festival can be seen here www.thecallyfestival.com



No comments:

Post a Comment